2019 Call for Submissions is Now Closed! Check back in Summer 2020 for information on next year’s event.
Download a pdf of the 2019 LIFT Conference Call for Submissions.
The LIFT Conference is designed to bring together student leaders who are connected to their campus office of community engagement and service-learning or are actively engaged in coordinating and advocating for service experiences at institutions of higher education in California. A goal of the event is to convene student leaders who have an affinity for promoting, supporting, and advocating for meaningful service opportunities in college settings. We hope to use the event to nurture a network of support for students in similar leadership roles.
The LIFT Conference is founded on four values that encompass the purpose of the gathering:
LEADERSHIP: This value denotes the roles conference attendees play in their respective campuses and communities.
INNOVATION: Establishing a flow of information between student leaders will spark new ideas about how to best develop and expand leadership skills and service programs.
FELLOWSHIP: The dictionary definition of fellowship is “friendly association, especially with people who share one’s interests.” By bringing like-minded student leaders together, we will provide an opportunity to forge new connections and discuss shared experiences regarding the importance of service in higher education.
TRANSFORMATION: We value the opportunity that service leadership provides the students to experience personal and professional growth. In doing so, they are better able to impact their respective service programs, campuses, and communities and transform our state into a more equitable, vibrant place for all people.
CALL FOR SUBMISSIONS INFORMATION
Submission due date: Sunday, October 13, 2019, 11:59 pm
Selection process: All submissions will be reviewed by current or recent student leaders. Applicants will be notified by October 21, 2019 whether or not their proposal has been accepted.
Submission link: http://bit.ly/2019liftsubmit
CONCURRENT SESSION CATEGORIES
Best Practices Workshop – 50 minutes
What are you proud of? What’s working well? What are you doing that other leaders can benefit from? The Best Practices Workshop provides presenters with an opportunity to share their experiences and innovations with other student service leaders. Workshops should include:
- An explanation of your project or initiative
- Highlight challenges you faced and how you overcame them
- Identify ways the project or initiative can been replicated or adapted on other campuses
- Be interactive!
Issue Discussion – 50 minutes
What challenges are you facing related to your role as service leaders in higher education? What are some pressing issues or topics that would benefit from group exploration? The Issue Discussions provide presenters with opportunities to crowdsource solutions and make connections with others who face similar dilemmas. Issue Discussions should include:
- A brief (10 – 15 minutes) introduction to the topic, providing context for session attendees
- Open and interactive discussion of a topic that is relevant to student service leaders
- A brief collection of findings or outcomes from the discussion that can be shared with all event attendees
PROPOSAL SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- Session Presenters: Provide name, title, organization and email for all presenters. Select the lead presenter who should receive all communication regarding the proposal.
- Presenter Institution/Affiliation: Identify the college or university you are affiliated with and briefly describe the role of student leaders in your campus office of community engagement and service-learning.
- Presenter Bios: Provide short (30 words or less) bios for each presenter.
- Presentation Category: Select a presentation category.
- Session title: Provide a title for your presentation
- Session Abstract: Summary of your session that will inform event attendees about your session topic and goals and encourage them to attend. (Not to exceed 50 words.)
- Session Description: Describe your proposed session, including any necessary background information, goals/objectives of the session, and potential impact it might have on attendees. (Not to exceed 250 words.)
- Value Alignment: Select the conference values that apply to your session: Leadership, Innovation, Fellowship, and/or Transformation. Provide a short explanation outlining how your session connects to your selected values.
- Requested Equipment: Indicate technical needs for session. We cannot guarantee that all requested equipment will be available, but will do our best to accommodate your needs.
Please contact Mellissa Jessen-Hiser if you have any further questions about submitting a workshop proposal for the LIFT Conference at email@example.com or 559.278.7079.